10/7/15

Europe: Part Two

Disclaimer: My hope is that you won’t need to set aside your entire evening to read this blog post unlike the last one (in case you missed it) so breathe a sigh of relief and I hope you enjoy looking at all these pretty places :)
We were in Rome for approximately 18 hours and to be honest, we arrived exhausted and hot and just so drained from our long days of traveling that all we wanted to do was sleep. However, we did manage to get ourselves together enough to visit the Colleseum, eat pizza and gelato, and walk 2+miles in the scorching heat (or close to scorching.) Sorry if you’re a ~Rome Lover~ and this offends you but I just don't think we could fully appreciate the city  because we were so exhausted (and did I mention it was so HOT) Ask either of us what our favorite part of Rome was and Caroline and I will both tell you the same thing... When we got back to our hotel and Caroline pretended to be royalty as she leaned out our hotel window to wave at whatever gathering was happening below us. You know when you can’t catch your breath and the strangest squeaking noises are coming out of your mouth because you’re laughing so hard? The. greatest.

And then we were on to beaches, ivy-covered everything and pretty little streets!

Highlights from the Almafi Coast:
  • The most beautiful hotel to stay in for a few nights. Upon arrival, the receptionist asked if Caroline and I were married. LOL "nope just bff backpackers.” After breakfast the first morning we realized this place caters to the honeymooners. WhO kNeW?!
  • Gelato, how predictable
  • Croissants every morning 
  • Beautiful beaches and water like I’ve never seen before
  • Our “put no effort into your appearance” day
  • Discovering the cutest cafe serving healthy lunches and smoothies (so we went twice)
  • Celebrating Caroline’s 20th birthday the day before we left. Best day ever. We took a private boat out to sea and tried making friends with our captain Lorenzo (but really just making him roll his eyes)
Our last stop was Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland and my absolute favorite. It gets me the most sentimental looking back at these pictures and videos more than any of the other places we visited... So sorry if I go overboard. I just wish they could do it justice (“things tourists say”.) 
Highlights from Lauterbrunnen:
  • THE WEATHER. The weather in Switzerland was a dream. Think of what the weather will be like in heaven (70 and sunny with a slight breeze) and that is Murren, Switzerland.
  • Only asking for directions once. We stayed in Murren which is the tiniest little town and Lauterbrunnen is not much different. You hardly need a map to get anywhere. 
  • Going to the same restaurant and ordering the same food both nights for dinner. Good thing Caroline and I both like routine. 
  • Walking 5+ miles through the beautiful, secluded valleys of Lauterbrunnen (first 3 miles “Oh my, so beautiful so perfect”, last 2 miles "I think I'm getting blisters"/“You think they have taxi’s around here?”)
  • Wearing sandals when we took a cable car up to "hike" in Schilthorn (judgements all around)
  • Getting fruit crepe’s at a little restaurant across the street from our hotel on our last night in Switzerland (hold on, getting a tissue)
 
 
 
 I just can't say it enough.... Thank you so so much to everyone who was praying for us and just simply being so excited for Caroline and I to experience all these new places. We truly could not have done it without so many friends and family lifting us up in prayer throughout our trip and we're so grateful for the Lord's protection over us each day. And let me just take a moment to say I am also SO THANKFUL for my amazing travel buddy. We didn't even get sick of each other once (or so she tells me) and Caroline always made sure my obsessive phone charging methods never suffered, putting my iPhone before her own. Not to mention she took some siiiiick pics. LYLAS <3

And hey, thanks for reading!! Here's the video that makes me feel the most nostalgic. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. still marveling at how put together you guys look throughout this entire trip.

    ReplyDelete